Welcome to our live coverage of tonight’s episode of WWE NXT on USA Network. Please read our preview of the broadcast. Two title matches will take place, and Finn Balor kicks off his NXT Title reign.
WWE NXT Results – 9/16/2020
From Full Sail University in Winter Park, FL
The show opens with a video package highlighting last week’s action – Finn Balor winning the NXT Championship and Rhea Ripley beating Mercedes Martinez in a Steel Cage match.
Io Shirai def. Shotzi Blackheart via pinfall with a moonsault.
- Shotzi tries to work the arm early on. Io takes flight to the outside to shift momentum.
- Shirai traps Shotzi in a crossface after stiff shots traded. Shotzi gets a nearfall with a bridge cover.
- Shotzi lands a “super hurricanrana” from the top rope. Action spills to the apron where Io nails a beautiful German suplex. Back in the ring, Io lands her moonsault for the win.
- Fantastic showing from both, especially the up-and-coming Blackheart. Shotzi and Io shake hands after the match.
Tommaso Ciampa watches the monitor show replays of him destroying Jake Atlas.
A number one contender’s women’s battle royal has been made official for next week: Rhea Ripley, Candice LeRae, Tegan Nox, Shotzi Blackheart, Dakota Kai, Raquel Gonzalez, Kacy Catanzaro, Kayden Carter, Aliyah, Indi Hartwell, and Xia Li confirmed.
— WWE NXT (@WWENXT) September 17, 2020
Tommaso Ciampa def. Desmond Troy via pinfall following Willow’s Belle.
- Denzel Dejournette is now known as Desmond Troy
- Despite Troy’s stature, Ciampa picks him apart before launching his face into the bottom turnbuckle. Ciampa hits Willow’s Belle for the win.
- Ciampa grabs a chair as Jake Atlas comes out to get Ciampa’s attention. Atlas promises to show just how dangerous he can be next week.
Drake Maverick is asked about teaming with Killian Dain tonight. Drake hasn’t been able to contact Dain all week.
Finn Balor reflects on his first title reign, how he built and carried the brand. Balor doesn’t need the brand now, the brand needs him. He calls the NXT Title the most important one now that he has it. Challengers should line up, because the champ is waiting.
Austin Theory comes out and wants a fight after losing to Bronson last week. Kushida marches out without music and kicks him out of the ring.
Kushida def. Austin Theory by submission.
- Kushida targets an arm out the gate. He outsmarts Theory at just about every turn and continues working the arm by kicking it.
- Theory drives his own forearm into the ring post. Kushida drops Theory onto the ringside floor. Kushdia puts in the Hoverboard Lock for the win.
- It wasn’t exactly a squash, but Kushida was dominant to reestablish him as a credible competitor after months of no direction.
Johnny and Candice ponder Tegan breaking their TV and how Johnny will buy a bigger one. Candice says she’ll win the battle royal, while Gargano makes it clear he has eyes on Thatcher vs. Priest.
NXT Tag Team Championship Match: Breezango (c) def. Imperium via pinfall to retain.
- Imperium hits the ring quickly but briefly break it up for the bell to be called. Marcel and Fabian work Fandango for a bit at the start.
- Breeze finally comes in after the break. He deals with double-teaming from Imperium. They all spill to the outside where Fandango delivers superkicks. Aichner tosses Fandango with a German suplex, nearfall.
- Breeze rolls Aichner up for the win after reversing Imperium’s finisher.
Kacy Catanzaro & Kayden Carter def. Jessi Kamea & Xia Li via pinfall.
- Kayden and Xia start the match, Kacy quickly gets tagged in.
- Jessi and Xia take turns working their opponents as they navigate teaming for the first time. Carter has a flurry of offense against Xia.
- Kacy and Kayden do a double team finisher where Kacy kicks Xia into Kayden’s backdrop pinfall. Kacy rolls Xia up for the win.
- Post-match, Jessi shares fist bumps with Kacy and Kayden, but Xia opts to walk to the back.
Backstage, Drake finds Killian right before their tag match. Killian reminds him that they’re not friends.
Tegan Nox, from home, addresses Candice again and promises she’ll win the battle royal next week.
Drake Maverick & Killian Dain def. Roderick Strong & Bobby Fish by DQ when Fish used a chair against Dain.
- The match starts without Killian at ringside
- Killian is shown watching the match from backstage as UE continues beating down Drake. Backstage, Regal orders Dain to go to the ring.F
- Killian attempts to leave until UE make a fat joke. Dain turns around and enters the ring. Fish brings a chair in for the DQ.
- Dain and Drake stand tall in the ring, but Dain lays him out with a sucker punch.
Jake Atlas is asked about challenging Ciampa when Ciampa runs up for the attack. Kyle O’Reilly helps make the save and tells Ciampa to save it for next week.
William Regal announces a Gauntlet Eliminator for next week to determine Finn Balor’s TakeOver challenger. The match will run as a gauntlet with competitors coming out every four minutes. Competitors can only be eliminated by pinfall or submission until there’s a last man standing.
NXT North American Championship Match: Damian Priest (c) def. Timothy Thatcher via pinfall to retain.
- Thatcher does his best to work an arm throughout the entire match.
- Priest lands a spinning heel kick from the top rope. He hits The Reckoning for the win.
- Highly competitive main event and first successful defense for Priest.